They're comin' to America

 My paternal grandfather, Michael -- I'm at least the third in a line of Michaels, though we all have different second names -- seems lost to history, at least so far. Though I thought he was an Irish immigrant, a document prepared by my father lists his father as having been born in New York City. 

My maternal grandmother, on the other hand, does have some documents that give a bit of insight into who she was. She immigrated from Germany, making her one of two grandparents who I know immigrated from another country, preserving my second-generation American credentials to an extent. 

My daughter dug up a couple of documents related to her immigration, one her application for naturalization, the other her Declaration of Intention, both one page documents.

Despite their brevity, I learned that she was born in Kesselbach, a town in western central Gernany, about 33 miles northwest of Frankfurt, and came to America when she was 22. 

The Crown Princess Cecilie, the ship that brought
my grandmother to America. 



Her application consists of 10 questions, such as her date and place of birth; last residence before coming to America; current residence, marital history; number, names and addresses of any children; and how long she'd lived here.

Number 7 of the questions asks her to affirm that she's not a disbeliever in or opposed to organized government, not a polygamist, is attached to the Constitution, and is willing to give up allegiance to any other country, specifically the Third Reich. Given that she was Jewish, I doubt that last one gave her any pause.

The residency requirement at the time was five years.

This prompted me to wonder what the application form for naturalization looked like today. I found and downloaded a copy to compare. The PDF of the form now runs 20 pages, consisting of 18 sections. Pretty much all the same information my grandmother had to provide is still part of the form, but its asks for much more detailed information on a number of topics, some of which may require extra pages that need to be attached. And yes, if you were alive during the time of the Third Reich, you have to affirm that you were not a part of the regime. You also have to state that you've never been a communist or a terrorist. 

You must provide a detailed criminal history, if you have one, and that includes any crime you may have had expunged from your record, even if a judge has told you that you don't have to reveal such information.

You also have to provide a detailed physical description under the section titled "Biographic Information." I didn't know that maroon and pink were eye colors, though I supposed if you had albinism that might apply. Eye color and hair color also include "Unknown/Other" options. 

If you can lay claim to a hereditary title or an order of nobility, you must indicate that you are willing to give those up when naturalized. 

The form also requires you to indicate if you've been involved in genocide, torture, maiming, killing or forced sexual contact, or preventing someone else from practicing their religion. Why you would own up to any of these activities if you wanted citizenship escapes. me.

The form ends with the oath required at naturalization. At the risk of dragging this post out even further, here's the oath:

I hereby declare on oath that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and

that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road not Taken

TJ and the Liberties: That infamous letter

A Cautionary Tale