A letter to George Washington

The best source of stories that have a least a modicum of a connection to my family come mostly through my mother's line. Her great-great-great grandmother's portion of the tree stretches back through the original American colonies into Great Britain -- mostly England.

A number of individuals in this limb participated in the American Revolution, most through militia service but some directly in the Continental Army. I remember when my mother found out my sister was researching our genealogy, she expressed disdain for the exercise because Sis was trying to connect with her father's family. (If this is the only post you've read, my sister and I had different fathers, though mine adopted her after marrying my mother.) I wonder what mum would have thought about this part of the family story.

I've mentioned my family connection to the Massachusetts Bay Colony previously. Apparently many of the family members found Massachusetts to be an amenable state and stayed there for a few generations. Orpha Morse, the above mentioned g3 grandmother, was the granddaughter of Peter Morse, who with his wife Kezia (sometimes listed as Keziah) lived in Sturbridge, Worchester County, Massachusetts. They appear to be the last in my direct line of succession to have lived in Massachusetts.

Still, given that I have sometimes staunchly identified as a Texan, I am the only one of my family who was actually born here and now understand just how deep my roots run in Yankeedom. Please don't hold it against me.

A quick word about Sturbridge. Before the English dropped in, Sturbridge was known as Tantiousques by the Nipmuc tribe that occupied the area. The Nipmuc mined graphite, and the area is considered to be one of New England's first mines. 

After the English showed up and settled in, John Winthrop Jr., son of the colony's first governor visited the area and bought the mine and surrounding lines. Eventually other resources would be mined there commercially, with operations continuing into the 20th century. The area has since been returned to the tribe.

The town's commons is listed on the National Register of Historic Place, and I read that the public (or publik) house, which dates to 1771, is in operation today as part of the tourism trade in the town. 

Back to Peter and Kezia. They had 10 children, eight boys and two girls. At least three of the boys participated in the Revolution. Bear with me now, because I'm going to take this train off on a siding.

I found a record for one of the sons, Abishai -- who would be a great, great, etc., uncle or cousin or something -- that showed his enlistment in the Continental Army in 1781, for a term of three years. 

A Col. Newhall commanded this regiment, and while trying to find out what significant engagements the regiment might have participated in, I found this letter Newhall wrote to Gen. George Washington, along with the General's reply. This will close out today's post:

Note: Spelling and punctuation are reproduced as is. Ellipses represent unreadable portions of the letter

To George Washington from Lieutenant Colonel Ezra Newhall, 20 March 1780

From Lieutenant Colonel Ezra Newhall

Soldiers Fortune [N.Y.]
March 20th 1780

May it Please your Excellency

I am excessively sorry to trouble you on a subject so very remote from your attention, yet flatter my-self that if consistant with the service, your Excellency will grant me my request.

In November last the Major of the Regiment obtained a furlough for forty days, on his return I expected the same indulgence, but unfortunately he was deprived of his life by one of his neighbours, this accident intirely disappointed me, and have had the honor of Commanding the Regiment all winter—Colonel Putnams furlough expires the first of April, and beg your Excellency will on his return, permit me to visit my eight motherless children, whose youth renders them altogether incapable of helping themselves, unless I can obtain permission of visiting them once a year, to put them in a situation to subsist, your Excellency cannot be insensible of  ... dificulties that attend providing for families, ... their Head is with them), I hope these reas[ons] ... viewed as obvious, and that your Excell[ency] ... empower the commanding officer of this post, to grant me my request on the within terms, altho I am verbally informed that Colonel Putnam means to make application, to have his furlough lengthened, still shall be willing to tarry till his return. I have the Honor to be, Your Excellencys Most Obedient Humble Servant

Ezra Newhall

Washington's response:

I have recd your letter of the 20 instant.

Genl Howe or the officer commanding in your Quarter has full authority by his instructions to take such order in cases of furlough as he may judge proper. Under the representation which you have made, I have no objection to your absence on Col. Putnam[’s] return provided circumstances will admit of it at the time, and should it be agreea[b]le to the commanding officer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Road not Taken

TJ and the Liberties: That infamous letter

A Cautionary Tale